Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Rediscovering my Domestic Self

... Well, kinda. ;) 

**I'll start with a statement in my defense: I have not stopped performing my domestic roles entirely. I just do them at a way lesser frequency than I once did. 😊**

There was a time that I was domestic in almost every way (leaving out sewing and crafting and ironing and...) I would clean my house like a fiend pretty much ALL the time (we'll discuss my acquired wisdom on this at another time,) and every day I made all 3 meals from scratch. If someone would tell me there was an easy, yummy, packaged meal that I needed to try, I would figure out how to make it with real food. I was sure it was better for my family, and I knew it was way less expensive! I still know these two facts to be true...and yet...

I have a lot of excuses for why I "gave up" my cooking job after 13 years of marriage, and in my mind, all of my excuses are valid! Whether it was because my husband "quit eating" or because I had teenagers who could fend for themselves in the kitchen (and often do, leaving huge messes in my kitchen that I refuse to cook in) or because I had baby number 5 and was overwhelmed and tired or... I mean I could go on and on...BUT

The important thing here is that it has become a thing of habit that needs to change.  I have made a promise to myself--and to my younger kids who don't really remember that I used to cook-- that I will make dinner more often than not! (I'd like to say every day, but let's be realistic.) And I'm blogging about it because I need to be accountable to someone. 😉

Today is enchiladas. Of the crockpot nature. My plan is to prepare the meal in the morning so it's out of the way before the whirlwind hits...


                   Wish me luck! 



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness, I am doing the same thing!! I didn't ever iron, and I didn't make all 3 meals from scratch, but I ALWAYS made a good dinner. And like the last 6-8 months I just don't feel like it. And I actually love to cook! I need to get back INTO the groove. ...Those enchiladas look so good!! :)

CaryMac said...

I wish I could say "6-8 months." Goodness! It's been years since I have really been consistent!! My poor family... ha ha

They have survived... :)