Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

January 1st. New Year's Day! I'm not sure what it is about a new year that feels so good. It is refreshing to just have a new start...even though it is really just another day...there is just something about it

So it seems kind of obvious, then, that I love New Year's resolutions. I know I have many for 2012, but when it comes to verbalizing them, it is hard to put them to words. I know I need to find a renewed passion for my life. I don't know exactly where it went, but I have had an apathetic, passion-stealing cloud over me for a little too long. So my resolution #1 is to breathe and appreciate the beauty of each new day.

#2 I have been feeling like my body needs me to do yoga. The pain in my knee is becoming debilitating and affecting the quality of my physical self, and I am certain the pain comes from my lack of flexibility, etc. I have done a few yoga sessions from a tv program and last Saturday I went to my first hot yoga class. I was a little embarrassed, but it felt really good. I am going to go again tomorrow. I am hoping that I learn to love it and that my body enjoys the benefits.

#3 I need to be better organized. Not necessarily physically--I manage fairly well in that department--but with time management and mental organization, I struggle. (I kind of hope that yoga might assist in this area as well.) With school, young women's, busy kids, housework and meal preparation (which I have barely done lately,) as well as my business, which has thankfully been running itself with the amazing clients and team members that I work with, I really need to master my calendaring skills. I want to do well in all the areas of my life, and I know it is possible with organization. I'm not sure how I am going to go about it. I'm hoping that the fact that I am writing it down will magically create a solution that works. :)

#4 Family Meals...enough said...

#5 Be debt free. So, I do have a plan for this one! I will live within the allowance that Dave gives me, then I will work my HM business enough so that I can pay off all bills that I have created for myself (don't ask...) I can do this!!!

#6 So this last one sounds terrible, and I am almost hesitant to put it down here or anywhere besides my own mind, but I am choosing to as an act of faith in the power of stating my intentions and as an accountability action... this year I will remember and act upon what it feels like to enjoy being a mom. I have a deep love for my kids and for my calling as a mother, but somewhere in the hardness of it all, I have lost the ability to find pleasure or fulfillment or success or.... I don't even know the word... I will find it again. Sooner than later. My family doesn't have time to wait for me. I am starting by getting to know my Savior better, trusting Him as my partner. I am also making myself take time for quiet peace each day, meditation of sorts, to connect with the Spirit and to find the little joys (another desired yoga benefit.) A lady I was speaking with the other day told me to picture a white, bright room with a throne. Every time I am "dealing" with kids, imagine myself sitting there, peacefully listening, and returning love instead of judgment. It sounds like a nice idea. I know for a fact that it is going to take time and --ahem--personality changes to follow through with this suggestion... "Let them know I love them. That is all I can do and all that matters."

Well, there are a few little "filler" resolutions that I am sure I will squeeze in, but these are the big ones. I am excited for 2012! A new year is just what the doctor ordered!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You're awesome!! I know what you mean about enjoying the mom part. I have been thinking lately about just trying to ONLY say positive things. That would help me a lot, I know. But, yeah, you just get so busy and so INTO everything and it's just crazy before you know it. It's so hard to just take a step back sometimes. But it sounds like you're *READY* for 2012!! :)