Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Personal AHAS from The Book of Mormon

Our bishopric challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in two months, starting January 1st. I have been offered this challenge before, but I was always in the middle of some other study or whatever else excuse I had, but this time, even though I had JUST started over and was only in Mosiah, I decided to take the challenge seriously, and for 4 whole days I have been faithful!!

I want to share the thoughts I had today as I read...they are simple, but they apply directly to my life at this time, so to me they are profound. (I feel like I need to journal it to remember, and what better journalist avenue than my blog, right?)

You know the story of the Liahona? The one where Lehi's family had been commanded to leave Jerusalem and travel in the wilderness for an unspecified amount of time to a Promised Land because Jerusalem was soon to be destroyed... Soon after they had begun their journey, but after they were far enough away from Jerusalem that a "quick trip back" would require some effort, they were commanded to return-not once, but TWICE-to first retrieve the brass plates and then to bring back the family (and most specifically) the daughters of Ishmael to marry. After these two missions were successfully accomplished, they were ready to move forward in their journey, and THEN, the morning that they were to continue on, (and after having proven himself faithful in whatsoever the Lord should ask,) Lehi finds the Liahona (his olden day GPS) outside of his tent.

I have heard this story several times, so it almost seems like I, personally, have taken the journey several times. I know it like the back of my hand. But today as I read, I started thinking about how Lehi and his family were totally going in faith. They didn't google "Promised Land" and print the directions before they left. They had no idea where they were going, what "Promised Land" really even meant, but they went forward in faith, hoping that the Lord would give them the directions they needed AS they needed them, and as is apparent in this story, not until the VERY moment they needed them...

My other AHAH moment this morning was during the story of the broken bow. Nephi broke his bow, and the other bows had lost their spring, so basically, they were without means to acquire food. Even Lehi murmured this time...Nephi remained strong and faithful, reminded his family that all they needed to do was ask the Lord what they should do, then go to work in making another bow. The part that touched me was, although Lehi had murmured and was "less righteous" at that moment than his son, Nephi still turned to him to ask whither he should go for food. Lehi was still the head of the household, the Patriarch of his family. He was also human and had weaknesses--he was tired and his family was hungry. Nephi did not judge him. He boosted him up, then he honored him and turned to him for guidance.

This was in answer to a question I had earlier this week. A family study session had "failed"--and without placing blame here, I was left with the question of whether I should take charge and wear the pants and, in my wrath, strongly insist that so and so get out of bed and get to work, or whether I should quietly go about my own personal study, pray about what to do, and counsel with said "so and so" about making our family study work. I chose the latter... Yesterday we had a mini version of our study, headed up by the proper authority, and it was fine, but I still wondered if I had chosen the weaker path. I think this story today answered my question...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Those are AWESOME "ahah" moments!!! I am excited for you to read the Book of Mormon in 2 months. I have done 2 of these challenges before--one was read it in 90 days, the other in 60--and it was SO AMAZING!! It's a lot of work to make sure you set aside the time to do it, but it makes the whole picture so much more clear, and you make so many more connections than you do when you read it slowly. Something to be gained both ways, of course, but reading quickly is AWESOME.

I love the insight of how they were TOTALLY going on faith. We know the rest of the story, we know how it ends, so it's easy to forget that he didn't. He just packed up and said, "Okay. I'll start walking." It reminds me of my own life in some ways-- "I promise you something great in the end. Step out of your comfort zone now." Great insights!! Glad you shared. :)