Sunday, August 28, 2011

Operation "Life Balance"--week one

It has been one full week of following the new diet/life routine. I had been slowly studying and implementing little things for about 3 weeks previous, but I finally felt that life was in a place that I could "really start."

Diet: I am usually one to balk at anyone suggesting a specific diet for me to follow. It is restrictive, boring, and usually so weird! but this one from my Core Balance/hormone balancing program is actually fairly easy to follow, with lots of yummy recipes. I'll admit there have been a couple of things I didn't want to try--fish and kalamata olives, for example; the fish was just ok ( I survived) but I enjoyed the olives!--and one that I won't try--lamb chops. The fact that I am alone most of the day, with kids in school and Dave out of town, makes it a lot easier than it would be if I had to either convice my family to eat as I am or make two of every meal.

I have added or changed a couple of things: I am subsituting one of my suggested snacks with at least one Isalean Shake, and instead of the vitamins that Women to Women sent, I am sticking with the Isagenix Daily Essentials because they are very similar--pharmaceutical grade, same vitamins with minor doseage difference--and I know that they make a difference for me. (I gave the others to my daughter to try) I do take the hormone balancer from Women to Women, however, and I can really feel the positive effects of that.

So far, I think I am feeling better. The hardest part for me right now is keeping on a good schedule. Some days I am everywhere except home, so it's hard to prepare and eat a meal at a scheduled time. I haven't been tempted much (except for today, which I will talk about later.)

Routine: School could not have started at a better time! A new school year has a way of bringing freshness to life routines. I am taking more classes than I ever have as a "mom who goes to college," and finding an organized routine is scary to me, tho I know it is the ever most important part of making this work. I felt more calm about this at the beginning of the week than I do now, after starting the online portion of my schedule. There is a lot of homework! Throw in exercise, housework, after-school kid chauffeuring, church calling, two home based businesses...(after attending both conventions this month, I decided that I need to at least try my hand at Isagenix but I can't let go of Heritage Makers. I believe strongly in both companines!) This part of balancing will definitely be a work in progress for me. For now I plan to just do one thing each day toward each thing...as long as I keep going forward, I won't fall backward, right?

Sleep, Relaxation and Enjoyment: I am exhausted enough at the end of the day that I have been able to get to bed before midnight. That is an improvement! School for me is enjoyable, so I consider that part of my enjoyment journey, but because it also adds stress, I need to keep my perspective with it. I also am taking a voice lesson to add to my enjoyment. This is something I look forward to once every two weeks. :) I have started a list of to-do's in this area, too. Taking some kind of dance class, whether it's zumba or whatever, is on that list. Scares me to death, but someday I will do it.

Family Balance: It's easy for me to become self absorbed in a personal journey and isolate myself from family. One thing I noticed is that when Dave comes home it is easier to 'give in" on my routine, and especially my diet, so I have decided that I will stick to it the best I can but allow myself balance in this regard as well. I ate popcorn at the movie last night...and a donut today because the neighbor brought them and I decided to join the kids.) Balance in ALL THINGS, right? ;)

I have so many thoughts all week long that I tell myself to remember to blog about, but of course I can't remember them now. I will make it a point to either make notes or blog more often. I hope my thoughts make sense. :)

I feel like it has been a successful first week! I have a long way to go...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow, are you one amazing woman! I can't believe everything you can do--and you do it so well! I couldn't handle all that... my brain doesn't move that fast! ha I'm happy to hear all the things you're enjoying, though. Very cool!

As far as the diet, the first time I tried some sort of diet or improving my eating, I found myself getting kind of mad almost when someone brought donuts or when the kindergarten "mommy & me" luncheon only offered crap to eat. But I eventually came to the same conclusion--balance in all things!! Eating a donut is fine. Eating junk you might not normally eat just because you're at a "mommy and me" time is fine. I've discovered, too, that I think my husband would rather have me willing to sit and eat ice cream in bed with him while we watch a movie than have me 10 lbs. thinner. So I'm gonna be okay with that. :)

Seriously, you SAY you have ADHD, but you are just a busy and capable chica! You are amazing, my dear.